Hello there, I'm Mgamerz, and I'm the owner of ME3Tweaks. For years, when people have asked me about donations, I've told them that I don't accept donations on my work. As ME3Tweaks has expanded, the costs of running my services has also increased. You might think that's weird since I run ad on the top of all my pages. Don't ads make me money? Well, yes, but not really.
(Note: Ads are currently removed thanks to donators for 2019-2020!)
If you're tech savvy at all, you're using an ad-blocker. Since most of my userbase are mod users or developers, almost all of my users are savvy enough to install an ad-blocker. I don't blame them. Ads are really nasty and even I run an adblocker on almost all pages for safety reasons. The donation banner says you can turn it off to support the site, but that doesn't really change anything as ads pay almost nothing. In the many years I have run ME3Tweaks I've only been paid twice, and it only covered the cost of running the site for a year.
I've been conflicted over accepting donations for some time. I do not want to make it appear that I am working for money. I do all of the work for ME3Tweaks in my spare time as a hobby. I never once have expected to be paid. I stand by this stance still. However I must also accept that running ME3Tweaks and providing services to users for free is not cheap either.
To be more transparent about what it actually costs to run ME3Tweaks, here's what I pay for on my own:
ME3Tweaks.com - $120/year
- All website pages including ME3Tweaks ModMaker
- Updater service for mods and Mod Manager
- Mod identification services
- Log viewing services
- Mod showcasing for third party developers
Code signing certificate ($180/year)
- Used to sign all of my software so you don't get as many warning prompts, and you know I'm the one who signed off on it
NexusMods Premium subscriptions ($60/year)
- Used to quickly test mods for compatibility with Mod Manager and implement support for them
Various software licenses (~$40/year)
- Sublime Text
- Software libraries
- Google Drive for collaboration
I am not the kind of person that likes the idea of taking donations. But I've come to realize I am spending a significant amount of money on this site. So if people really want to donate, I am okay with the idea that I can put the money to what I think would be the best use.
- If ME3Tweaks.com is self sustaining, I'll remove all the ads since they won't need to be around to sustain the site. Not like they were helping much anyways. - Threshhold met
- The rest of the services would be paid (VPS, Code signing)
- If somehow there is additional money, I'll donate it to a charity that hits close to home for me: The Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
I would like to make clear that donations do not fund future development. These donations are to help pay for the services ME3Tweaks provides to users and some of the tools that I write. I do not work for pay on my mods or my site - it makes me sick to even think about that. Donations would be to only fund the infrastructure and software licensing for ME3Tweaks.
With all that out of the way, if you're still interested in donating, you can do so through Paypal at the link below.