PSE for Windows 10?

Mass Effect 3 Private Server Emulator is a replacement for the Origin/Blaze backend that handles the online component of Mass Effect 3.

Moderator: PSE Developer

Voidelf

PSE for Windows 10?

Post by Voidelf »

Hi Erik JS.I am a player who have used PSE for 2 year. I want to say thank you to you and other people who made this tool.It gave me a lot of fun when i could not connect the internet :D
Unfortunately,I upgraded my computer last week. And I found I could not use PSE now. :( the Fall Creators Update(10.0.16299.*)made me sad.Though I read what you write in PSE: Questions & Answers topic, I still want to ask you if you will fix the issue. :?: I really want to play the game with new windows 10. Thank you~ :)
Erik JS

Re: PSE for Windows 10?

Post by Erik JS »

All I can say is that this issue is currently under research. I don't know "when", but I intend to fix it.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

I think I finally found out what's happening...

Yesterday, I found this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/466 ... ommunicate
From the error message, we eventually can conclude that the client and the server could not agree on a cipher suite.
Now let's see what we can find about cipher suite support on Windows 10:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

Comparing 1703 (Creators Update) with 1709 (Fall Creators Update), we can notice that TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA and TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5 were thrown into the "supported but not enabled by default" list. Enabling either of them or both fixes the communication between PSE and ME3.

I managed to track down the exact place in registry which needs to be modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Cryptography\Configuration\SSL\00010002
Functions
-> there'll be a list of cipher suites separated by commas, adding ",TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5" will be enough (must restart afterwards).

I'd like to ask anyone else to confirm that this fixes PSE under Windows 10 with Fall Creators Update.
Voidelf

Post by Voidelf »

Erik JS wrote:I think I finally found out what's happening...

Yesterday, I found this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/466 ... ommunicate
From the error message, we eventually can conclude that the client and the server could not agree on a cipher suite.
Now let's see what we can find about cipher suite support on Windows 10:

Comparing 1703 (Creators Update) with 1709 (Fall Creators Update), we can notice that TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA and TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5 were thrown into the "supported but not enabled by default" list. Enabling either of them or both fixes the communication between PSE and ME3.

I managed to track down the exact place in registry which needs to be modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Cryptography\Configuration\SSL\00010002
Functions
-> there'll be a list of cipher suites separated by commas, adding ",TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5" will be enough (must restart afterwards).

I'd like to ask anyone else to confirm that this fixes PSE under Windows 10 with Fall Creators Update.
Thank you for reply! After I restarted my computer and ME3, I finialy understand what you say. I am very happy to tell you the method you posted worked well and I have already play the game several times without problem. Thank you very much! :lol:
Gabby

Post by Gabby »

Erik JS wrote:All I can say is that this issue is currently under research. I don't know "when", but I intend to fix it.
I do not understand. What do I need to do?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BSWdLz ... sp=sharing
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

If you have nothing there, then just create the key listing the necessary cipher suites:
Right click -> New string
Name: Functions
Value: TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5
Gabby

Post by Gabby »

Erik JS wrote:If you have nothing there, then just create the key listing the necessary cipher suites:
Thank you so much.
It worked, you need to add this to the FAQ.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Yeah, right, I'll add that there eventually... right now I'm thinking about how I'll include this in PSE.

I'm pushing up some updates to the GutHub repository. Still can't say when, but a new release of PSE is finally coming. :)

EDIT: 100th post! :lol:

EDIT 2: Dec 22nd. ;)
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Erik JS wrote:If you have nothing there, then just create the key listing the necessary cipher suites:
Hey there, important double post!

If you have nothing, you cannot do this, or else you'll be telling Windows that those are the only supported cipher suites, and other stuff will break, like Uplay and Skype.

This is the "official" way, but for C++ only. I managed to get it working today, and then I realized how that registry key actually influences cipher suite management.

So no choice but using bcrypt functions for this. I still intend to make a new PSE release tomorrow, and I'll see what I can come up with for adding the missing required cipher suites to the registry without making the default ones unusable (it'll be external tool).

EDIT: this thing can be done through PowerShell, so I looked around on how to access cmdlets from C# code... here is the result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oy8kn31o132x ... g.zip?dl=0

Use this tool in order to enable the necessary cipher suites for PSE. I assume I don't need to explain how to use this thing. Just remember to restart your PC in order for Windows to apply changes.

EDIT 2: PowerShell code for those who want to do it manually (don't know why I didn't disclose this before, whatever).

See currently enabled cipher suites:

Code: Select all

Get-TlsCipherSuite | Format-Table -Property Name
Enable required cipher suites:

Code: Select all

Enable-TlsCipherSuite -Name 'TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA'
Enable-TlsCipherSuite -Name 'TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5'

OFFTOPIC :
For what's worth, Uplay was less affected than Skype. Uplay showed a "no internet connection" message at the bottom, but I still could launch games and navigate through the store. Skype wasn't able to retrieve contact statuses or set my own status (sort of trapped into an infinite loop). Steam and Origin didn't show any abnormalities (can't say if this is good or bad).