Killfeed: Weapon name "bug"

Discuss Mass Effect 3 mods and modding tools here. This includes multiplayer mods.
Erik JS

Killfeed: Weapon name "bug"

Post by Erik JS »

It's one of those little things that bothers you and no one talks about. I don't think I've ever seen someone bringing this up, though I'm not saying nobody ever noticed that kills coming from weapons differ from those coming from powers where the weapon's name has an additional space for no apparent reason:

So I was watching Mgamerz's stream last night, and I decided to investigate this further. I think I found something. :D

http://imgur.com/OwMmHQT

When an enemy is hit, the damage cause's name is recorded - it'll be shown in the killfeed as "Player [Weapon/Power] Enemy" if the enemy actually dies from that.
The problem is that whatever weapon name that is being recorded was intended to be shown as "Weapon X" (name and level), not "Weapon".
Note that I'm not saying that the killfeed output was supposed to include the weapon level, I'm only saying that the trailing space is there due to BioWare not using an exclusive string entry where the weapon name doesn't have the "custom0" token.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Re: Killfeed: Weapon name "bug"

Post by Mgamerz »

I don't think I've ever noticed that. I did look into the code for how the killfeed works and its based on the damage source shortprettyname. I added some entries in coalesed to guns for the cain/blackstar/minigun so you can see what is killing enemies if you give yourself them.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Do you know how to edit shortprettyname? I tried to see what uses prettyname and what uses shortprettyname, but I failed. I tried editing directly the pcc of Avenger and Adas, but they still act as if I didn't edit anything.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Coalesced biowapon. I have a script dump of the entire game that can be searched with grepWin that makes things like this ezpz if you want it. The code that uses it is in sfxgame in one of the damage methods.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bwvh ... p=drivesdk

The pretty name is a string ID. To fix this bug you'd likely just need to tlk edit the custom token string. Clients are synced this string ID on kills.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Thanks for the script dump. Also, I edited the bioweapon coalesced as you pointed, and it worked. In the end, it seems shortprettyname is only used as the damage source for the killfeed.
Mgamerz wrote:The code that uses it is in sfxgame in one of the damage methods.
Thanks... I think? (this is in the link I put in my first post)
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Didn't see that somehow :)