How is explosive round damage calculated?

Discuss Mass Effect 3 mods and modding tools here. This includes multiplayer mods.
UltimateSpinDash

How is explosive round damage calculated?

Post by UltimateSpinDash »

I've been trying to "fix" explosive rounds and make them a viable choice for the mod I'm working on. However, I don't quite understand what the "explosion damage per shot" actually scales of off. If Kalence's builder is to be believed on this, the ammo's damage is not as predictable as I would like.
In some cases, it appeared to only take a weapons base damage (so no Rail Amps, Extended Barrels or Powers) into account. In others ones, only the base damage that is dealt to armor appeared to be the base for the ammo's damage.
In short, the numbers I'm getting just don't line up.
BSN was unable to help me aside from making some jokes about explosive rounds, so I was hoping someone here knows more about it.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Re: How is explosive round damage calculated?

Post by Mgamerz »

I'm pretty sure explosive rounds do a fixed amount of damage. Each rank is like150/200/250. Since it has a huge delay in vanilla it's almost worthless.

Modmaker should have the values you are looking for.
UltimateSpinDash

They don't, the amount of damage they do is capped but supposedly scales from your weapon's damage. It's just that the values I get from Kalence are inconsistent.

The thing is that regardless of what values you put in the ModMaker, you can never have more than six needles on one enemy. After that, the oldest needle disappears without exploding. Because of this, most explosions never happen and I ended up making the explosions instantaneous.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

UltimateSpinDash wrote:They don't, the amount of damage they do is capped but supposedly scales from your weapon's damage. It's just that the values I get from Kalence are inconsistent.

The thing is that regardless of what values you put in the ModMaker, you can never have more than six needles on one enemy. After that, the oldest needle disappears without exploding. Because of this, most explosions never happen and I ended up making the explosions instantaneous.
You should be able to increase the number of needles too, but then again the engine has a lot of limitations on spawning new objects, and in MP its really aggressive (thanks PS3).
UltimateSpinDash

Mgamerz wrote:
UltimateSpinDash wrote:They don't, the amount of damage they do is capped but supposedly scales from your weapon's damage. It's just that the values I get from Kalence are inconsistent.

You should be able to increase the number of needles too, but then again the engine has a lot of limitations on spawning new objects, and in MP its really aggressive (thanks PS3).
That's the thing. I set the number of needles per pawn to 100 and 1000 for global (though I expected this to impact performance). I still never had more than six on one pawn.
UltimateSpinDash

I tested a bit more in Kalence's builder. Explosive rounds (and all other ammo types) only calculate from the weapon's base damage without any mods, gear or passives and only work from health damage.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

UltimateSpinDash wrote:I tested a bit more in Kalence's builder. Explosive rounds (and all other ammo types) only calculate from the weapon's base damage without any mods, gear or passives and only work from health damage.
Interesting. I always thought it was a fixed value.
UltimateSpinDash

It's maximum damage is limited, so it won't scale on weapons like snipers.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Oh... perhaps that's why it still sucks in my Zombie mod then. I made no delay and upped the cap , but on lower powered guns it only is staggering and adding very little damage. Maybe I can mod in a way to boost it.
UltimateSpinDash

I doubled the explosion radius and set the damage percentages to 22,44 and 66%, respectively. I have yet to test this, though.

I believe this ammo type can be saved though, unlike Cryo Ammo. Tested with 50 % freeze chance and 95% slow on Cryo IV, as well as 100% armor weakening which as I found out only applies to armor plates. The slow is ignored most of the time by stuff like brute charge animations or banshee jumps.
Any chance damage bonuses could be added to Cryo Ammo?