Changing pawns' weapons

Discuss Mass Effect 3 mods and modding tools here. This includes multiplayer mods.
Malshep

Changing pawns' weapons

Post by Malshep »

In Mass Effect one thing annoyed me a bit since the first appearing of Cerberus Troopers on Mars...why are they equipped with SMGs and not with Mattocks as seen in most cutscenes? Too expensive? Use the cool things only on stage?

There is a MixIn for the Geth Prime that makes him use a geth rifle instead of his pulse weapon, is it possible to do something like this with other pawns as well?
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Re: Changing pawns' weapons

Post by Mgamerz »

Unfortunately no. The get prime one is doable because his turret has is actually using the geth pulse rifle so it is baked into the same file. The mesh is hidden though. I could only do it for one of the primes as the other is patched and is not possible (there are 2 primes, one patched and then another full updated file).

You can do it in game via giveitem <pawn instance id> <weapon> though but it can also crash the game.

giveitem target shuriken
Malshep

Post by Malshep »

Okay :cry:, but thanks for the reply

Its sometimes funny to give some enemies powerful weapons through the console :? , but I am quite sure to use it on every single trooper isn't worth the effort.

Thank you for everything you created here. The Rejects are really cool to play with
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

I once wrote a program that send keys to me3. I had set those keys to keybinds to a list of pawn indexes. Every few seconds it would give a pawn a new gun.

It wasn't stable though and crashed after a few waves but it was pretty savage.
Malshep

Post by Malshep »

Probably :shock:, but sounds interesting.

I tried to do at least the weapon giving part and bind the following command row to a key:

giveitem SFXPawn_Trooper_0 mattock
giveitem SFXPawn_Trooper_100 mattock

So pressing the key would give every Trooper on the field a mattock (meaning in the best case 8 at a time and in higher waves nothing at all).
Seems to work :D, but it looks like a pretty ugly solution because the game would have to handle at least 93 invalid commands each use. Do you remember how you did it?

By the way is this client-friendly or will they have issues?
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Clients will see the new rate of fire and sometimes see the gun. Without a ASI hook or memory scanner there's not really any other way. ASI hooks for MP are really unreliable due to the original SDK code being buggy.
Malshep

Post by Malshep »

Meaning when you give a Geth Prime a spitfire, clients would see eventually a lot of pulses flying to them instead of the projectiles the host can see?(+annoying sounds)
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Pretty much yes. But I don't think you can give hold fire weapons to enemies. The game seems to just crash instead.
Malshep

Post by Malshep »

Sad, would have been a pretty simple way to change gameplay but if clients cannot even see the changes and get at best weird visuals, using giveitem in MP isn't so great then.

Adding spitfires to enemies works, I tried it only on Primes though. (with giveitem target minigun )
It don't shoot the full magazine at once, but long enough salvos to kill players easily