Tweaking Animation Timing?

Discuss Mass Effect 3 mods and modding tools here. This includes multiplayer mods.
EliValenti

Tweaking Animation Timing?

Post by EliValenti »

So, I'm messing around with multiplayer stuff for funsies, and one thing I was able to do was enable cover usage for the Krogan Warlord and Geth Destroyer. This means you have access to their Cover Grabs.

However, both are broken in terms of animation. The Krolord spawns its ragdoll after the animation in the T-pose, while the Geth Destroyer does the same thing, but the actual animation has a starting delay specifically on the Geth model itself.

How would I go about fixing these specific things? I can only assume it would involve matching positioning and timing to a character where it works, such as the normal Geth/Krogan, but I don't even know where to look for this. I've been looking through their respective .pcc files for at least an hour or so, and I'm not seeing anything aside from "SFXGameContent.Default__SFXCustomAction_SyncCoverGrab.tempAnimInfo" on line 10,444 for the Geth Destroyer.

I'm thinking it might be in here, but I can't actually tell where things like starting times and ragdoll model positioning would be. Any specific tips for this?
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Re: Tweaking Animation Timing?

Post by Mgamerz »

This is a pretty tricky one. Personally I am unsure how animations work, but you may be able to change the impact timeline (look for timeline) and change the time at which that item is triggered. I should make a quick video on timeline editing as there is some interesting stuff you can do. A quick n dirty guide:

There's impact timelines which is a list of "times" and what happens at that time. Each item only can have 1 thing happen - damage, camera tilting, rumble, etc. Look for the type which is at the bottom of each entry. There are many default properties (like 500 damage iirc) but they do nothing if the type is not correct (500 damage with camera tilt = no damage). Typically these are named timeline0 or something similar and are near the bottom of the export list.

If you need more help with stuff like animations you could probably ask on me3explorer forums... but they are SP focused so I don't know if they'd help you much.
EliValenti

Post by EliValenti »

Alright, thanks! I'll start tweaking around.

Hex editing is seriously a pain in the ass so far. I'm surprised that there's no text to hex interpreter in ME3Explorer, since the reverse is true. I can't even edit the names of the entries, or really do anything to them other than the occasional copy-paste, but even that seems to be almost random on whether or not it works.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

What are you doing for hex editing? Are you hex editing names?