ME2 remove vignette

Discuss Mass Effect 2 mods and modding tools here.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Re: ME2 remove vignette

Post by Mgamerz »

I'll take a look when I get some time this week. Sounds like you got it working out pretty well. I see now what you were hex editing.
forkinator

Post by forkinator »

Honestly, I am still not happy with it though. Ill wait till you get it working properly because currently the amount of film grain effect is a little too much. its about 20% more than vanilla/default settings and it's more than i want. I have a file that has no film grain so i will use that in the meantime.

Could you message me on reddit when you have had a chance to look at it this week?

Thanks.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

I see what you did. I tweaked a ton of variables and edited the post processing chain but almost nothing actually did anything. I did notice that the stuff we are editing is actually not a post processing effect but a post processing shader. The toolkit doesn't have a way to edit shaders so I think it might be beyond our ability to remove it and keep film grain intact. I did notice that there is a film grain texture (just a static image), but I don't know what controls the translucency. Unfortunately I think the way I have done it (by removing it from post processing) is about the only way to do it - I can't figure out how to remove vignette and normal film grain options.

I've[/b[ got permission to redistribute from dybuk so I will go through some of his mods soon and release compatible versions.
forkinator

Post by forkinator »

I noticed the same thing about the post processing shader. I tried loading 5 different shaders individually and taking screenshots and there are some interesting shaders that i don't think are being used. I wish there was a way to find out why if you use just the film grain effect, that it makes it too heavy. There seems to be some sort of processing chain where it looks for both vignette and the film grain and evens out both of them, so if you only have 1 effect, it multiplies it somehow? It's just a guess.

Anyways I am at the same conclusion as you now. I took another look into it and saw there was a texture associated with the film grain. If there was maybe a way to edit the texture to make it less intense, or use a different texture in place of it, that would be pretty sweet. I, like you have not been able to find a way to lower or even edit the intensity of any of these effects. I wouldn't know where to start looking for that honestly.

It was a fun project though.

I have permission from Creeperlava and Dybukk to distribute the copy i linked earlier that has a almost normal level of film grain and no vignette. feel free to upload it to your mod page if you like as a compatibility patch for ALOT and No minigames. Those are the only 2 mods it works with as far as i know.

Oh i forgot to mention, I can't figure out a way to turn off the film grain through the main menu when edited this way. So i am going to upload a version for you to distribute that is compatable with ALOT and No Minigames that has both vignette and film grain disabled.

Here's the link for the version that has no vignette and no film grain

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz8b5ny9x1wcs ... 9.pcc?dl=0

and this version below is the one that has no vignette but about 20% more film grain. After playing with this version a little more, it seems very acceptable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlp74ku20k0mb ... 9.pcc?dl=0
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

I would really really, STRONGLY suggest you don't distribute the a pre-alot modded file. When alot updates it will bust people's game and it won't work with the new version either even if they go to vanilla as it will point to a texture hash that doesn't exist anymore. Part of the alot process is starting from vanilla. It'll cause more issues than it's worth to distribute it that way.