I must be doing something wrong

Mass Effect 3 Private Server Emulator is a replacement for the Origin/Blaze backend that handles the online component of Mass Effect 3.

Moderator: PSE Developer

Boerewors

I must be doing something wrong

Post by Boerewors »

I'm going to sound like an utter noob, but that's ok.

I have followed the How-To Guide to the letter multiple times with no success. I'm having a couple of problems including:
1. I have patched the game over and over and over again, but it still wants to connect to Origin. The EXE version is 1.5.5427.124.
2. I have patched binkw23.dll and binkw32.dll with the patches that came with the downloaded archive. I have even downloaded the ones from the How-To Guide. Still no success.
3. I keep getting a ”The requested address is not valid in its context” errors with the Telemetry Listener, Main Server, Tick Listener, Redirector and the HTTP Listener. My LAN IP, for example is 192.168.0.56, is the same as the IP in Conf.txt. What now?

I have gone at this for more than two hours now and going nowhere. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Erik JS

Re: I must be doing something wrong

Post by Erik JS »

#3 is covered in the FAQ. A listener needs a valid local IP from your PC. If the IP in conf.txt is correct (I assume you already used Setup for Hoster from Setup.exe), then there must be something else blocking PSE.

The thing about game still wanting to connect to Origin... you need to get PSE working first, but:
- you need cracked EXE to connect to PSE (required for offline profiles).
-> if you don't have/want cracked EXE, you can get Origin Unlinker from my ASI repository.
- you have to modify the hosts file (from PSE: F5 - activate, F6 - deactivate, F7 - show contents).
-> is the hosts redirection working?
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

Thank you for the reply.

One of my problems was that I did not have the cracked EXE. I copied the cracked EXE to Win32 folder, the game started but as soon as the intro video played the game minimized and Origin was running. I then copied the two dll's(binkw23 and bink32) but it says that "vcruntime140.dll" is missing.

I'm guessing I should reinstall Mass Effect or am I missing something?

EDIT:

I forgot to patch the EXE. After I patched the EXE Origin still opened. I'm stumped!
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Mod Manager also can install the origin unlinker ASI from the ASI mod management window.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Boerewors wrote:Thank you for the reply.

One of my problems was that I did not have the cracked EXE. I copied the cracked EXE to Win32 folder, the game started but as soon as the intro video played the game minimized and Origin was running. I then copied the two dll's(binkw23 and bink32) but it says that "vcruntime140.dll" is missing.

I'm guessing I should reinstall Mass Effect or am I missing something?

EDIT:

I forgot to patch the EXE. After I patched the EXE Origin still opened. I'm stumped!
"Missing vcruntime140.dll" means that you need to install VC++ 2015 runtimes - this is mentioned in the main readme of the GitHub repository for binkw32.

The latest version from GitHub was compiled under Visual Studio 2015, the version currently included in PSE is from VS 2012. When you used "Patch Game", PSE overwrote whatever binkw32 you had with the old one from VS2012.
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

So this is what I did

1. Recopied the cracked EXE into Win32 folder
2. Recopied the dll's from Github(just to be sure)
3. Downloaded and installed the VC++ 2015 runtime(both x86 and x64 - just to be safe)
4. Started Setup without patching the game
5. Clicked on Setup for Hoster
6. Chose an IP(the only one that does not give me any errors is 127.0.0.1, all the other IP's I enter "crashes")
7. Started Mass Effect only for Origin to still start with it.

I am making progress it seems. Still a few issues to iron out.

EDIT:

How do I check if the hosts redirection is working?
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

Boerewors wrote: 7. Started Mass Effect only for Origin to still start with it.
If you have the cracked EXE, this shouldn't happen. The original EXE is encrypted and requires things in the Core folder, and that folder triggers Origin before proceeding with decryption. Cracked EXE is not encrypted.
Boerewors wrote: How do I check if the hosts redirection is working?
Make sure hosts is being edited. As I said earlier, from PSE you can use the keys:
F5 - Activate Redirection
F6 - Deactivate Redirection
F7 - Show Content
Modified hosts should look like this: http://www.mediafire.com/view/cfkz7kja7 ... ontent.png
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

Then it would seem that the EXE I downloaded from gamecopyworld is the wrong EXE then? If so, where can I find the one everyone else is using?

The screenshot you posted is the same as mine, but every IP I enter crashes.

EDIT:

Scratch that. I have the correct EXE now. I'm now in the game but no multiplayer capabilities. That's my only problem now. As I have said, it does not matter which IP I enter it keeps "crashing". Only when I take the "127.0.0.1" option does it not crash. Any ideas?
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

The issue with IP's sounds like antivirus/firewall restriction to me.

If you have hosts edited and PSE is running, there's nothing else to do, the game should connect to PSE even if it's using the loopback address. If the game never connects to PSE, then it must be because of something else blocking the connection (again, that is what it looks like to me right now).
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

I'll give that another check. I did add the EXE, the dlls and PSE to the firewall and anti virus program. Is there anything else I should add to the list of this that needs to be ignored by my firewall and anti virus?