Http Listener crashes on startup

Mass Effect 3 Private Server Emulator is a replacement for the Origin/Blaze backend that handles the online component of Mass Effect 3.

Moderator: PSE Developer

sebool112

Http Listener crashes on startup

Post by sebool112 »

First off, I'd like to say it's not a huge deal, as it's only affecting GaW not updating. Everything works, except for that one thing.

So, I start the server, and everything appears to be fine and launches as it should(Main server, Telemetry Listener etc.). But "Http Listener" crashes with message "SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions". I've read the FAQ carefully(I know it's got something to do with security, but hear me out), I tried:
1. adding "Setup.exe" and "ME3Server_WV.exe" as exceptions to the Anti-Virus(AVG).
2. adding "Setup.exe" and "ME3Server_WV.exe" as exceptions to the Windows Firewall(both Private and Public networks).
3. adding whole %PSE% folder as an exception to AV and "Setup.exe" and "ME3Server_WV.exe" to the Windows Firewall.
4. Disabling AV altogether and launching Setup.exe as Administrator.
5. Disabling both AV and Windows Firewall altogether while launching Setup.exe as Administrator.
6. Downloading fresh PSE and then starting Setup.exe as Administrator all while having AV and Windows Firewall disabled.

Could the problem be that I'm using Windows 10? I tried all of the above steps on a machine that also had Win10 and encountered the same problem.

A hundred times thanks to everyone contributing to PSE from the botttom of my heart, especially to Erik JS and WarrantyVoider. :)
Erik JS

Re: Http Listener crashes on startup

Post by Erik JS »

I don't think Windows 10 is the problem. I tested PSE under it and no problems came up.

Maybe something else is using port 80? You can verify this by using CurrPort (search on Google). Run PSE, then run CurrPort (as admin), and see what is using port 80 (local).

Next, you could try running some other program which uses port 80 and see if it'll fail too.
sebool112

Post by sebool112 »

Alright, apparently, System was occupying port 80, and the process ID was 4... I googled "process id 4", got on this site http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1430 ... at-is-that and found a solution.
1. Right click on My Computer.
2. Select Manage.
3. Double click Services and Applications.
4. Then double click Services.
5. Right click on "World Wide Web Publishing Service".
6. Select Stop.

And now Http Listener starts as it's supposed to. Thanks a lot! It got me on the right path to fix this. :)
P.S.: Is "World Wide Web Publishing Service" anything I should be afraid of stopping...?
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Process ID is set at runtime. It can change.
sebool112

Post by sebool112 »

Soooo... I didn't actually fix this...? "System" was the only process using port 80 and when I disabled World Wide Web Publishing Service, port 80 wasn't occupied anymore. Am I missing something?
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

I didn't mean it wasn't fixed. However ProcessID's can change as the system assigns them ascending as the system spawns processes. ProcessID 4 could have been correct in this instance but process ID 4 does not always point to the same process.

However, WWW publishing would be port 80 as http is done over port 80. If you have any websites (or a program hosts a website on your IP, such as a configuration interface) it won't work anymore. It is not too uncommon to find programs that do things like that (in enterprise it does a lot more)
sebool112

Post by sebool112 »

Ah, I see. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! :)