Friend and I cannot find each other's lobbies

Mass Effect 3 Private Server Emulator is a replacement for the Origin/Blaze backend that handles the online component of Mass Effect 3.

Moderator: PSE Developer

SilverlightPony

Re: Friend and I cannot find each other's lobbies

Post by SilverlightPony »

Aaaaand it's working now. Turns out Dalken's Windows Firewall got turned on (presumably by the Win10 Anniversary Update). Once he turned it off, we were able to connect.

If someone wanted to leave the firewall on, but create an exception for this, what program(s) and/or port(s) should they put in for the exception?
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

SilverlightPony wrote:If someone wanted to leave the firewall on, but create an exception for this, what program(s) and/or port(s) should they put in for the exception?
It should target masseffect3.exe and me3server_wv.exe. Firewall rules must be "allow the connection", TCP and UDP. Can't be any simpler than this.
SilverlightPony

One more question:

What ports does MP3 PSE need to have open in the router to receive connections from the internet? I think I've found them from looking at the server info window when it first starts up, but (a) I want to make sure, and (b) it doesn't tell me which ones are TCP and which are UDP.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

SilverlightPony wrote:What ports does MP3 PSE need to have open in the router to receive connections from the internet?
Hold on your horses! PSE is not supposed to be played over Internet (public network), and this kind of feature is not on the plans:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51

Even if Tunngle and Hamachi work over the Internet, they actually are limited to people with access to their own virtual LANs. (LAN = private)

For private play, just add the exception to connect and receive connections from private networks, for any TCP or UDP ports (in my Win8.1 firewall the rules for TCP and UDP are separated).
SilverlightPony

Erik JS wrote:Hold on your horses! PSE is not supposed to be played over Internet (public network), and this kind of feature is not on the plans:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51

Even if Tunngle and Hamachi work over the Internet, they actually are limited to people with access to their own virtual LANs. (LAN = private)

For private play, just add the exception to connect and receive connections from private networks, for any TCP or UDP ports (in my Win8.1 firewall the rules for TCP and UDP are separated).
I know direct internet connection is not the intended method, but Tunngle was giving us problems too, and Hamachi has a habit of switching from direct-tunnel to relayed-tunnel at random (which results in ping times rising to aggravating levels).
Dalken Starbyne

Post by Dalken Starbyne »

Yeah, I've been trying to get it to work over Tunngle with another friend, but it's still hanging while searching for game in Quick Play, no matter who creates the match. We've got the hosting and clients all set up through Tunngle IPs, can connect to the server, port forwarding set up so all the smiley faces are green, firewalls turned off all around (double- and triple-checked this time, swearsies), same versions, et al. But while we were able to get things to work fine over the real LAN, the virtual LAN just doesn't seem to want to let us play. We just can't figure out what's causing the problem.

Now, I don't know if it's even worth mentioning, but I did notice that the Galaxy at War map worked fine on the real LAN, but is down on the VLAN. I only bring it up because, aside from the above, it's the only visible difference between running it through LAN versus VLAN.