Dedicated Server?

Mass Effect 3 Private Server Emulator is a replacement for the Origin/Blaze backend that handles the online component of Mass Effect 3.

Moderator: PSE Developer

Rhilinx

Dedicated Server?

Post by Rhilinx »

I got everything working fine with the lan server but i was wondering if there was any way to run it as a dedicated server through my public ip so that others can connect to it?
Erik JS

Re: Dedicated Server?

Post by Erik JS »

I suppose you'd need to set up some kind of port forwarding. I never tried running PSE like this.

I don't know if you already know, but people have successfully used PSE under VLAN tunnels (Hamachi, Tunngle). I remember I had to do one specific thing in order to make PSE compatible with VLAN's.

Anyway, I give no assurance that PSE will correctly work when being directly exposed to the Internet, and I can't say if and/or when it'll be possible to use it like that. There are things I plan to implement, change and fix. Currently, playing over the Internet isn't on the list.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

Another thing is by using it on the public side you're painting a nice big target for EA to send their lawyers to. This is protected by the DMCA and is specifically spelled out in a court ruling a few years ago. Even after they shutdown their servers they still can prevent MP servers.
Erik JS

Post by Erik JS »

It won't be a target only for EA. If their lawyers don't take down your server, hackers* will.

Normally, a developer want his/her app to be downloaded and/or talked about by as much people as possible. But me, I'm not even worried that PSE doesn't get "enough exposure".

*: that's how the media likes to refer to script kiddies AFAIK.
Rhilinx

Post by Rhilinx »

Ahh thank you yea i was wondering more for only me and like 2 others friends to to connect it wasnt to try to make it a big server for more than 3 people.. i was thinking if it would help the inconvenience of having to get all the computers set up in order to run it through lan. Thanks otherwise.
Mgamerz
Site Admin

Post by Mgamerz »

You might try a vpn like hamachi. I used to use it to play Megaman battle network games across the internet, it makes systems behave like in a LAN. Just make sure you set up security.